Research Associates (RA):
The fellowship for Research Associates may be fixed as a consolidated amount at any of three pay levels given below depending upon the
qualification and experience.
Doctorate or equivalent degree in Science/Engineering/ Technology or having 3 years of research, teaching and design and development
experience after ME / MTech with atleast one research paper in Science Citation Indexed (SCI) journal.
Research Scientists (RS):
||Fellowship per month(in Rs)(w.e.f 01/01/2019)
||Research Associate I (RA-I)
||Research Associate II (RA-II)
||Research Associate III (RA-III)
The fellowship for Research Scientists remains unaltered
||Levels in the Pay matrix (as per VII CPC)
||Other Scales below in the Level 10 of pay matrix, as recommended by VII CPC and approved by Govt. of India
Obligations of JRF/SRF/RA:
- Dearness Allowance: JRFs, SRFs and Research Associates will not be entitled to this allowance. The Research Scientists will be eligible to
draw DA as per rates of Central Government as per rules of the local institutions where they are working.
- House Rent Allowance: House Rent Allowance will be allowed to all research fellows viz.Junior Research Fellows (JRF), Senior Research
Fellows (SRF), Research Associates (RA) and Research Scientists (RS), if they are not provided with hostel accommodation,
as per rules of the institutions where they are working. For this purpose, the fellowship amount for JRF/SRF / Research
Associates and Research Scientists will be taken as Basic Pay.
- Medical Benefits: The JRF, SRF, Research Associates and Research Scientists will be allowed medical benefits, as per rule of the
institution where they are working.
- Leave and other service benefits: JRFs/SRFs are eligible only for casual leave while Research Associates/Scientists are eligible for
leave as per rules of the Institutions. Maternity leave as per Govt. of India instructions would be available to all female
Participation of JRF/SRF/ RA/RS in any scientific event in India or abroad will be treated as “on duty”. The travel entitlement
for JRF/SRF/RA/RS for participation in scientific events/ workshops In India will continue to be the same as earlier i.e.,
IInd AC by rail.
Bonus & Leave Travel Concession: Not admissible to any category.
- Retirement Benefits: JRFs / SRFs / Research Associates and Research Scientists will not be entitled to these benefits.However, Research
Scientists who are appointed for the duration of the project may be allowed to be members of the New Pension Scheme (NPS)
of the Institution.
- Encouragement for pursuing higher studies: JRFs/SRFs may be encouraged to register for higher studies and the tuition fees to undertake
these studies may be reimbursed from the contingency grant sanctioned under the project grant, if required.
- Benefits to Host Institutes: Overhead expenses of 20% of the total project cost not exceeding Rs 3.00 lakhs may be permitted to the host
institutions for meeting their costs including infrastructural facilities.
- JRF/SRF/RA/RS shall be governed by the disciplinary regulations of the host institute.
- The JRF/ SRF/RA/RS must send a detailed consolidated report of the research work done during the entire period of Fellowship on completion
of the tenure/ resignation at the earliest.
The periodic enhancement of Research fellowship: The Research Fellows, Research Associates and Research Scientists are not entitled for annual increment.
The revised emoluments will take effect from January 01, 2019 for all categories of JRS/SRF/ Research Associates/ Research Scientists.