Junior Research Fellow (JRF) / Senior Research Fellow (SRF):
Note: The performance of the Junior Research Fellows (JRF) shall be reviewed on completion of the two years, by an appropriate Review Committee duly
constituted by the Directors of Centres/Units. Based on the recommendations of the review committee and approval of the Director of Centre/Unit,
Junior Research Fellow may be awarded the position of Senior Research Fellow (SRF).
||Ist & 2nd Yr (monthly emoluments)(w.e.f 01/01/2019)
|Junior Research Fellow (JRF)
||Post Graduate Degree in Basic Science OR Graduate/Post Graduate Degree in Professional Course selected through a process
described through any one of the following :
- Scholars who are selected through National Eligibility Tests - CSIR-UGC NET including lectureship (Assistant professorship)
- The selection process through National level examinations conducted by Central Government Departments and their Agencies
and institutions such as DST, DBT,DAE,DOS,DRDO,MHRD,ICAR, ICMR, IIT, IISc, IISER etc.
|Senior Research Fellow(SRF)
||Qualification prescribed for JRF with two years of research experience
NET Examinations and Its Equivalent for Coverage under the OM.
Any National Level Examination conducted by the Central Government departments/agencies for admission to PhD programme are considered equivalent to NET.
The following are the list of examination which can be equated to NET:
- CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test Including NET –Lecturership.
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) conducted by MHRD.
- Joint Admission Test (JAM) conducted by MHRD.
- Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT) conducted by MHRD.
- Biotechnology Eligibility Test & Test conducted in Bio-Informatics by Bio-Informatics National Consortium.
- Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST), Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology & Interdisciplinary Life Sciences
(JGEEBILS) conducted by Department of Atomic Energy.
- JRF Entrance Examination conducted by Indian Council of Medical Research.
- All India Competitive Examination (AICE) conducted by Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
Obligations of JRF/SRF/RA:
- Dearness Allowance: JRFs, SRFs and Research Associates will not be entitled to this allowance. The Research Scientists will be eligible to draw
DA as per rates of Central Government as per rules of the local institutions where they are working.
- House Rent Allowance: House Rent Allowance will be allowed to all research fellows viz.Junior Research Fellows (JRF), Senior Research Fellows (SRF),
Research Associates (RA) and Research Scientists (RS), if they are not provided with hostel accommodation, as per rules of the
institutions where they are working. For this purpose, the fellowship amount for JRF/SRF / Research Associates and Research
Scientists will be taken as Basic Pay.
- Medical Benefits: The JRF, SRF, Research Associates and Research Scientists will be allowed medical benefits, as per rule of the institution where
they are working.
- Leave and other service benefits: JRFs/SRFs are eligible only for casual leave while Research Associates/Scientists are eligible for leave as
per rules of the Institutions. Maternity leave as per Govt. of India instructions would be available to all female JRFs/SRFs/
Participation of JRF/SRF/ RA/RS in any scientific event in India or abroad will be treated as “on duty”. The travel entitlement
for JRF/SRF/RA/RS for participation in scientific events/ workshops In India will continue to be the same as earlier i.e., IInd AC
Bonus & Leave Travel Concession: Not admissible to any category.
- Retirement Benefits: JRFs / SRFs / Research Associates and Research Scientists will not be entitled to these benefits.However, Research Scientists
who are appointed for the duration of the project may be allowed to be members of the New Pension Scheme (NPS) of the
- Encouragement for pursuing higher studies: JRFs/SRFs may be encouraged to register for higher studies and the tuition fees to undertake these
studies may be reimbursed from the contingency grant sanctioned under the project grant, if required.
- Benefits to Host Institutes: Overhead expenses of 20% of the total project cost not exceeding Rs 3.00 lakhs may be permitted to the host institutions
for meeting their costs including infrastructural facilities.
- JRF/SRF/RA/RS shall be governed by the disciplinary regulations of the host institute.
- The JRF/ SRF/RA/RS must send a detailed consolidated report of the research work done during the entire period of Fellowship on completion
of the tenure/ resignation at the earliest.
The periodic enhancement of Research fellowship: The Research Fellows, Research Associates and Research Scientists are not entitled for annual increment.
The revised emoluments will take effect from January 01, 2019 for all categories of JRS/SRF/ Research Associates / Research Scientists.